Thursday, September 25, 2008

To Marathon or Not To Marathon....that is the question....

I am faced with a dilemma. I have a foot problem that doesn't look like it's going to go away anytime soon, much to my dismay. So, they call it "Morton's Neuroma" and apparently, it's not all that uncommon - I just wish I wasn't the "common" part of this equation. So, this lovely thing causes a great deal of pain in my toes when I am running longer distances. I have been able to tolerate it up to now, but I had to finally break down and seek medical advice. As of right now, I am getting alcohol injections in my foot, directly into the nerve, to attempt to shrink the neuroma. Unfortunately for me, my pain threshold is rather high, because the size of this sucker indicates that I have had it for a minimum of three years. In the past, every time I have felt this stinging pain in my foot, I go out and buy new shoes. I have a lot of shoes. The pain usually goes away, and I am off and logging my miles. This time, when I bought new shoes, the pain didn't go away. I'm trying everything to get through this issue, through tears and frustration, and hopefully I will. I'm taking MJ's advice, and biking instead during this taper time before the marathon.

On October 12, I will lace up, go to my starting corral (that I earned, by the way...) and do what I can to finish the marathon this year. I am hoping I will get through this, but in the mean time, the question remains, do I marathon this year? or do I call it a season and look ahead to next year.....

1 comment:

MJ said...

Keep us posted...I'll be interested to know how your foot is feeling with the break from running lately.